Skip to content

Transport truck reportedly loses brakes on Highway 1 hill into Salmon Arm

Fire chief says truck takes out flower boxes and lamp standards but no one injured
Westbound traffic was delayed on Highway 1 just after 3 p.m. on Wednesday, June 14 following an incident near the 4th Street intersection in Salmon Arm, where a transport truck appeared to have lost its brakes. (Martha Wickett-Salmon Arm Observer)

City flower planters were spread out along Highway 1 in Salmon Arm near the intersection with 4th Street NE on Wednesday afternoon, after being struck by a transport truck.

Just after 3 p.m. on June 14, emergency crews responded to an incident where the truck, which was coming down the hill, appeared to have gone off the highway onto the sidewalk, pushing the flower planters with it.

Fire Chief Brad Shirley said from what firefighters gathered, the truck came down the hill, lost its brakes and ended up taking out two lamp standards as well as the planters.

“It was very fortunate no other vehicles were hit or any pedestrians struck,” he said.

Traffic in the westbound lanes was delayed although vehicles heading up the hill appeared to be moving smoothly.

Following the incident, the truck could be seen parked on the upper side of the intersection with one large flower planter in front of its front bumper, and two planters behind, all in the westbound curb lane of the highway.

Read more: Parking fines jump in Salmon Arm to keep on-street parking open for customers

Read more: Attempt to mark Highway 1 directions in Salmon Arm goes south
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Emergency crews respond after a transport truck appeared to have lost its brakes on Highway 1 coming down the hill into Salmon Arm on Wednesday, June 14 about 3 p.m. It pushed planters with it and reportedly took out two lamp standards, but struck no vehicles or people. (Martha Wickett-Salmon Arm Observer)

Martha Wickett

About the Author: Martha Wickett

came to Salmon Arm in May of 2004 to work at the Observer. I was looking for a change from the hustle and bustle of the Lower Mainland, where I had spent more than a decade working in community newspapers.
Read more