The regional Wast Reduction Office says with the heavy snow fall in the last few days, there could be delays in curbside garbage and recycling collection across the Central Okanagan this week.
Residents who get their garbage and recycling collected from the curbside are being told that if their pickup is missed on the scheduled collection day, leave the carts out until collection occurs, and be patient as safety comes first for those doing the collecting.
In a news release issued Monday, the waste reduction office says slippery, un-plowed roads may not be safe for large collection vehicles.
“The first priority is to clear roads to make them safe, and make collection possible,” says the release. “Residents whose garbage or recycling has not been picked up should continue to leave it out for collection, and the waste haulers will pick it up as soon as possible.”
Residents are being told not to bring their carts back in until they have been emptied to ensure collection is not missed.
Also, with the large snow piles at the side of roads, residents are being asked to alter the regular placement of carts so collection vehicles can reach them. Find or clear and unobstructed site to put your carts out for collection.
- Put carts as close as possible to the street, without obstructing the street, sidewalk or bike lane. (Often placing your carts on either side of your driveway allows for greater ease for the collection trucks and for you.)
- Keep carts off the travelled portion of the roadway so as not to interfere with snow plows- do not place carts in a location where the snow plow will hit them.
- Please have your carts out for collection by 7 a.m. (Avoid placing your carts out the night before collection and bring them away from the road as soon as possible, to avoid interfering with snow plows often working late) Clear your cart of snow and ice to ensure the lid opens when cart is tipped.
- The cart should be no closer than three feet from any obstacle, parked car, or other cart – an arm’s length spacing is required between each cart.
- Do not place carts behind or on top of snow banks.
- General safety tip: As the waste collection carts are equipped with wheels, use extra caution when wheeling them in snowy and icy conditions.