Another grass fire for Lake Country fire crews to deal with on Thursday over the noon hour and fire officials say the blaze was almost certainly started by an errant cigarette butt.
After being called out to the scene on Okanagan Centre Road West fire crews were faced with a grass fire that had grown to about 150 by 75 feet and was located in a steep area fairly close to a nearby homes.
But the fire department snuffed out a blaze, dug a fire guard around it and the fire is now out.
The investigation revealed a three foot area where the blaze started and also smoker’s material in the area.
“It could not be confirmed that this was the exact point of origin however when considering the location (right next to the roadway), the direction the fire progressed, and the lack of any other indicators – smoker’s material was the likely cause,” said Lake Country deputy fire chief Brent Penner.
Fire crews from Lake Country also dealt with a significant fire on Sunday at the end of Moberly Road that grew to roughly three acres in size.
On Sunday, all three Lake Country Fire Stations were dispatched to the south end of Moberly Road at 3:42 p.m. for another human-caused fire.
The fire started in the grass within a stand of pine trees and quickly moved up the hillside, climbing up the ladder fuels—the small branches close to the ground that enable a ground fire to easily climb a tree. Several trees “candled” prior to crews being able to knock the leading edge of the fire down.
It was under control by 7 p.m. that night.
In all four engine companies, two brush trucks, one water tender, and two command trucks responded.
The cause of the fire couldn’t be pinpointed as the area of origin was worked hard by the crews. Fire officials confirm it was started by humans, either a motorbike or smoker’s material.