Quick action led to a Vernon apartment fire being contained.
Smoke filled a complex in the 2300 block of 36th Street Friday at approximately 11:30 a.m.
Tatiana Jolicoeur said she was upstairs talking to a friend on the phone when she smelled the smoke and went to investigate.
She looked outside and when she returned, more smoke had filled the home, so she went to her neighbour’s to call for help because her own phone wasn’t charged.
As a precaution, the firefighters had to kick the door open at the attached neighbouring complex due to the residents not being home.
The fire was believed to have started in the kitchen and to keep the hot spots controlled, cupboards and counters were cut apart and removed.
“Luckily we caught it early, so we’re just trying to make sure we get access to all of the hidden spaces,” said Scott Hemstad, deputy fire chief.