One person escaped safely from a home that was destroyed by fire last night in West Kelowna’s Paradise Mobile Home Park.
And it appears an education campaign by the West Kelowna Fire Rescue (WKFR) in the mobile home park last month paid off.
West Kelowna firefighters responded to a fire call in the park yesterday evening around 9 p.m., finding visible flames as they approached the home and immediately calling for back-up
Twenty-one firefighters in two engines, two pumper trucks, a command unit, a utility and a safety attended the fire.
The intense, rapidly growing fire made escape out of the front door impossible, forcing the occupant to jump to safety out of a back window. Crews successfully confined the fire to the structure of origin, protected exposures on three sides, and extinguished a large tree near the home that started to candle. The home suffered extensive fire damage and is likely a total loss.
There were no injuries to firefighters or to the occupant and one cat made it safely out of the fire. The occupant’s dog remains unaccounted for at this time.
WKFR had visited the same home as well as neighboring homes in October during its annual smoke alarm campaign. During that visit WKFR crews had checked the smoke detector and discussed a home fire escape plan with the occupant.
Both the smoke alarm and the escaped were in use last night and WKFR reminds residents to ensure that their smoke alarms are in good working order and to review their home fire escape plan on a regular basis.
The home is insured, and the fire is not deemed suspicious at this point. A full investigation will be completed this morning.
WKFR wishes to thank the RCMP, Fortis BC, Emergency Support Services, and BC Ambulance for their assistance at this fire.