Emotions were running high as North Westside firefighters attempted to save three dogs trapped inside a burning house.
Shortly after arriving at the Lester Road residence Sunday at 6:30 a.m., the firefighters were told by the two occupants that three dogs — two pugs and a mastiff — were unable to get out.
The volunteer crew went into full attack-mode and the animals were located in a back room. They were taken outside, and while attempts were made to revive them, only one of the pugs survived.
“There were a lot of tears that day. There were a lot of dog lovers there,” said Jason Satterthwaite, fire chief.
Satterthwaite gives full credit to his crew.
“We saved one dog that wouldn’t have survived otherwise.” he said.
Flames and smoke were coming out of the house when the firefighters first arrived on scene.
“We got control of it pretty fast,” said Mike Cantryn, incident commander.
Extensive damage was done to the interior of the home, and the occupants did not have renter’s insurance.
“They lost everything they had,” said Cantryn, adding that Emergency Social Services has been providing assistance.
“We feel really sorry for them, especially with the loss of the pets.”
It’s believed a candle in a bathroom may have started the fire.