New upgrades will make B.C. campsite reservation more fair: government

Province attempts to address complaints of over-booking, re-selling of reservations

Golden Ears Provincial Campground.

The B.C. government hopes new changes will make opening day reservation madness a thing of the past for the 2017 camping season.

In January, the province will eliminate an opening day for reservations to avoid the delays and crashes in the online Discover Camping booking system. Instead, you will be able to book your campsite four months ahead of your desired date to camp.

“We want to make sure the campsite reservation service is doing its job as effectively and efficiently as possible. We know British Columbians want a reservation system that is fair, and that they have just as good a chance of securing a campsite as the next person,” said Minister of Environment Mary Polak in a news release Monday.

The changes are in response to a record-breaking camping season last summer, where sites were booked up far in advance and many people were left out. Others complained that people were snapping up campsites and re-selling the reservations for profit. Forty-six such incidents were reported to B.C. Parks last year.

The government says it’s cracking down on reservation scalpers. Under the new regulations, when a campsite is reserved, the guests will have to provide one or two permit holder names, and at least one permit holder will have to be on site, with identification, throughout the stay.

The province is also launching a pilot project to shorten the maximum number of nights you’re allowed to stay in five popular campgrounds during peak season. They are Martha Creek near Revelstoke, Mount Fernie, Porteau Cove near Vancouver, Loveland Bay near Campbell River and Ellison near Vernon.

More than 185,000 reservations were made last summer, with close to three-quarters coming from B.C. residents. The next highest shares are from Alberta at 14 per cent, the U.S. at 3.6 per cent, the rest of Canada at 2.8 per cent, and all European countries combined are 6.6 per cent of the total.

Just over half of the approximately 10,700 provincial campsites in B.C. can be reserved in advance.

Just Posted

Three UBC Okanagan students awarded women in tech scholarships

Computer science and math students hope the award will inspire others

Missing Kelowna woman, Cassy Miller found dead

Miller went missing Nov. 6 and was found 10 days later

Rockets break four game losing streak in Edmonton

The Rockets defeated the Oil Kings 3-1

Okanagan Floral Design students create elaborate Christmas arrangements

The students are making the floral arrangements as part of the Homes for the Holidays tour

Reduce, reuse, recycle: Repair cafes gaining popularity in Kelowna

The Regional District of the Central Okanagan’s cafe was held at Okanagan College Saturday

REPLAY: B.C’s best video this week

In case you missed it, here’s a look at the replay-worth highlights from this week across the province

Victoria spent $30,000 to remove John A. Macdonald statue

Contentious decision sparked controversy, apology from mayor

South region forestry workers nearly in legal strike position

Talks broke down between USW and IFLRA, resulting in booking out of provincial mediator

Privacy concerns over credit card use for legal online pot purchases

Worries follow privacy breaches at some Canadian cannabis retailers

NEB approves operating pressure increase to repaired Enbridge pipeline

The pipeline burst outside of Prince George on Oct. 9, now operating at 85 per cent

B.C. VIEWS: Setting speed limits in a post-fact political environment

Media prefer ‘speed kills’ narrative, even when it fails to appear

Controversy erupts over Japanese flag in B.C. classroom

Online petition demanding removal has collected more than 5,700 signatures

Death toll rises to 76 in California fire with winds ahead

Nearly 1,300 people remain unaccounted for more than a week after the fire began

Trump says report on Khashoggi death expected in a few days

Jamal Khashoggi was a columnist for The Washington Post who was slain Oct. 2 inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul

Most Read