A motor home burst into flames in Coldstream Friday evening.
Occupants of the unit were able to escape unharmed after they noticed flames coming from the vehicle as it travelled from Lumby to Winfield.
Motorhome catches fire in pic.twitter.com/XoZH0hPEGb— Vernon Morning Star (@VernonNews) July 1, 2023
The incident took place around 10 p.m. June 30 on College Way in Coldstream.
Coldstream Fire Chief Fiona Morgenthaler-Code said Saturday that College Way was closed for about three hours while firefighters attended to the blaze, before the incident was handed over to the RCMP.
She said the fire sparked due to a mechanical issue with the motor home.
“Ambulance did attend and check out the driver, we were worried she got a little bit of smoke,” said Morgenthaler-Code.
Both the Coldstream and Lavington fire departments responded to the incident, as well as the RCMP.
A Coldstream fire investigator is now proceeding with an investigation of the incident.
Coldstream Public Works was also called out to clean up College Way, scraping up a bunch of melted debris with shovels. The District of Coldstream also brought out a large grader to help with the clean-up.
One of the occupants of the motor home said they had just bought the motor home “an hour ago.”