(Will Johnson/Nelson Star)

UPDATE: Emergency personnel disagree with decision to re-open Shambhala

Organizers have told people they can stay

The party is back on at the Shambhala Music Festival as organizers have told people they can stay.

While many festival goers have already left, organizers say that the overnight rain was behind the decision.

In a post shared on Facebook late Sunday morning, organizer Jenna Arpita said that the festival will go on. The Salmo River Ranch remains under evacuation alert.

“After hours of meetings and consultation this morning, the Regional District of Central Kootenay, other local government and a fire behavioural analyst, we have been approved for Shambhala Music Festival to remain open for our final night,” she stated. “We invite all our guests to stay and celebrate with us for the final night of our 20th annual Shambhala Music Festival.”

However regional fire Chief Andrew Bellerby said that the RDCK did not approve of the decision to re-open the festival. On Saturday, they had recommended closing the festival a day early.

RELATED: Shambhala Music Festival cancels Sunday night lineup

“It’s entirely up to those guys. It’s a private function and they’ve made their own decision due to their own risk assessment,” said Bellerby. “The rain has cooled the wildfire down in BC Wildfire [Service’s] opinion but there is a wildfire burning in the area.”

Organizer Britz Robbins said improved conditions made staff feel confident that re-opening the festival was a safe choice.

“Yesterday, we were facing high winds and erratic behaviour of the fire,” Robbins said. “We have damp cool, cool weather that had downgraded the threat of the fire moving closer to the Salmo River Ranch property.”

RCMP spokesperson Dawn Roberts said that the police were in constant communication with festival organizers.

“We’re aware of the decision for the festival to continue [Sunday],” said Roberts. “We have plans in place to support based on fire activity.”

Ed Miska, executive director of engineering services at the transportation, noted that there is “a robust traffic control” plan in place for Shambhala. Roberts said that so far, all indications are that those leaving are doing so in an orderly fashion.

Arpita noted that while the festival is continuing, performances might differ from those originally scheduled for Sunday night. A new schedule is expected to be posted shortly.

All attendees with a wristband are allowed back in. Sunday tickets are available for $180.

WATCH: Nelson Star reporter Will Johnson is on scene:

More to come.

Just Posted

Highway 97 near Peachland closed due to dynamic wildfire activity

Highway 97 between Peachland and Summerland is being shut down due to wildfires

Flicked cigarette butt sparks small fire

The cigarette would have added fuel to the fire if it wasn’t for good samaritans

Updated: Complete list of B.C. Interior wildfire coverage

Up-to-date information on blazes happening the Kamloops Wildfire Centre

Okanagan Mountain Park wildfire now an estimated 400 hectares

BC Wildfire is on scene of what is being called the Good Creek blaze

Through your lens: Okanagan wildfires

Check out some of the captivating images and video from social media of the wildfires

Update: Skeleton crew to watch 1,000 hectare wildfire near Peachland overnight

Peachland - Evacuation orders have been issued for Brent Road and Highway 97 South properties

1,490 Peachland residents put on evacuation alert

The Mount Eneas wildfire has forced an evacuation alert of 596 properties

B.C. city wants pot punted from farmland

Concerned about conversion from growing food to making marijuana

Centre set up for Summerland wildfire evacuees

Summerland Emergency Support Services has processed 55 people from 16 households

On the street: Kelowna reacts to 2018 wildfires

BC Wildfire is working with local departments to battle multiple blazes near Kelowna.

World’s translators push back on forcing Trump interpreter to testify

Democrats had asked translator to testify about Trump’s lengthy conversation with Putin in Helsinki

No decision on B.C. school stabbing suspect’s mental fitness for trial

The BC Review Board could not determine whether Gabriel Klein, 21, is fit to stand trial

Update: Size of large fire near Keremeos unknown

Two significant fires are burning in the Lower Similkameen, smoke can be seen as far away as Osoyoos

Penticton bans open burning

Temporary fire ban takes effect noon Friday

Most Read