A kitchen fire sent a Lake Country man to hospital Feb. 24, and revealed a medical grow-operation at the home.
Just before 10 a.m. Friday, Lake Country Fire Department was dispatched to a residential fire on the 9700 block of Highway 97.
There was a report from neighbours of grey to brown smoke escaping from the attic.
The fire department responded with a quick knock down to access the fire. Going through the home, the crew discover a 200-plant grow-op which turned out to be legal.
The fire apparently started in the kitchen and then spread throughout the interior of the home, said a police report.
“There did appear to be issues with the wiring,” said LCFD assistant chief Brent Penner, “however, this fire actually started on the stove with a frying pan left on the burner. The frying pan erupted with the heat.”
The man, 53, received little more than singed hair and he did not require medical attention.
A preliminary investigation showed that the marijuana growing inside the residence had the appropriate licences from Health Canada.
The house has been deemed uninhabitable by the bylaw office due to the fire and effects of the indoor agriculture.
There was no indication that the fire was related to the operation of the grow op.
The federal government, through Health Canada, issues three kinds of medical marijuana licences—one for possession; one for production and a third one for people designated to grow for medical pot users.
In order to be legally authorized to possess marijuana for medical purposes, a person must apply to Health Canada under the Marijuana Medical Access Regulations.
For more information on Health Canada and the regulations, call their media line at 1-613-957-2983.