Residents are slowly being allowed to return home.
The West Kelowna Fire Department has deemed it safe for some to return to their suites, though it must be done along with coordination with the landlord.
The reception centre at the community hall has now been closed.
“This was an upsetting and very disruptive event for residence during the holiday season, but our incredible community came together to make sure everyone was taken care of which we are forever grateful,” said Cst. Mike Della-Paolera of Kelowna RCMP.
ORIGINAL: Dec. 26, 6:30a.m.
A gas leak forced residents of a building in West Kelowna out onto the street at about 2:30 a.m., Monday.
RCMP and the fire department were called to a building in the 2400 block of Gosset Road to assist with the evacuation.
Residents of the building were asked to attend the Westbank Lions Community Hall located at 2466 Main Street in West Kelowna to register with Emergency Social Services starting at 3 a.m.
Police say this is an isolated emergency and only effects this one building and that there is no risk to the surrounding neighbourhood. Those not involved with the situation are asked to stay away from the area.
More to come.