Skip to content

Fireworks suspected in blaze that destroyed Vernon home

Early morning fire in Blue Jay subdivision
Vernon firefighters battle a house fire early Thursday morning, suspected to have involved fireworks. (VFRS photo)

An early morning house fire in Vernon is believed to have been caused by fireworks.

Firefighters responded to the blaze in the Blue Jay Subdivision early this Thursday morning, which is suspected to have involved fireworks.

The fire took place in the 6500 block of Blue Jay Road, shortly before 1 a.m. June 29.

Upon arrival, crews confirmed the front entrance of a home was involved in flames, with extension into the attic and burning through the roof. Crews began actioning the fire and were successful in containing it to the attic.

“There was extensive damage to the entire structure due to the roof collapsing and fire operations,” said deputy fire chief Alan Hofsink. “Crews remained on site for the duration of the night and began an investigation this morning.”

Two occupants and a pet dog were home during the fire, all of whom got out safely. No injuries were reported and Emergency Support Services (ESS) was called to assist the family.

Vernon North Okanagan RCMP, BC Ambulance Service, FortisBC and BC Hydro also attended the scene.

VFRS reminds residents it is illegal to possess, store, or discharge fireworks within Vernon’s boundary without a permit.

“This is particularly important to remember ahead of the Canada Day long weekend.”

The possession, storage, or discharge of fireworks without a permit may result in a fine of up to $300 and multiple fines may be issued for a single infraction.

READ MORE: No fireworks on Canada Day again in Vernon, but plenty to look forward to

READ MORE: Fireworks back on the agenda for Canada Day in Enderby


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

and subscribe to our daily newsletter.

Jennifer Smith

About the Author: Jennifer Smith

20-year-Morning Star veteran
Read more