Skip to content

Dumpster fire sparks evacuation of Vernon grocery store

Firefighters snuffed out blaze in a dumpster at the Wholesale Club
Vernon firefighters extinguish a blaze in a dumpster at the Real Canadian Warehouse Wednesday, June 21. The grocery store had to be evacuated during the incident. (Roger Knox - Morning Star)

A blaze abutting the Real Canadian Wholesale Club caused some commotion Wednesday afternoon.

Vernon Fire Rescue Services was called to the fire at 1:40 p.m.

“Upon arrival, crews confirmed a fire in a trash compactor located outside the building and began actioning the fire,” said Josh Winquist, City of Vernon communications officer. “Due to heavy smoke the building was evacuated.

“At this time there are no reports of injuries.”

Waste Management was needed to move the industrial-sized garbage bin so firefighters could properly perform their jobs.

The fire investigation has been handed over to the RCMP.

READ MORE: Petitions against suspended Splatsin chief dismissed


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

and subscribe to our daily newsletter.

Jennifer Smith

About the Author: Jennifer Smith

Vernon has always been my home, and I've been working at The Morning Star since 2004.
Read more