A blaze abutting the Real Canadian Wholesale Club caused some commotion Wednesday afternoon.
Vernon Fire Rescue Services was called to the fire at 1:40 p.m.
“Upon arrival, crews confirmed a fire in a trash compactor located outside the building and began actioning the fire,” said Josh Winquist, City of Vernon communications officer. “Due to heavy smoke the building was evacuated.
“At this time there are no reports of injuries.”
Waste Management was needed to move the industrial-sized garbage bin so firefighters could properly perform their jobs.
The fire investigation has been handed over to the RCMP.
READ MORE: Petitions against suspended Splatsin chief dismissed
@VernonNewsnewsroom@vernonmorningstar.comLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter
About the Author: Jennifer Smith
Dialogue and debate are integral to a free society and we welcome and encourage you to share your views on the issues of the day. We ask that you be respectful of others and their points of view, refrain from personal attacks and stay on topic. To learn about our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines.