A grass fire sparked off Highway 97 near Kekuli Bay was accidental.
Firefighters were on scene battling the blaze in the 400 block of High Ridge Road south of Vernon around 12:30 p.m. Thursday, June 29.
The Vernon Fire Rescue Services forestry truck and engine attended the fire and crews quickly began attacking the blaze. Heavy smoke could be seen coming from the area.
The fire grew to approximately 500 feet by 200 feet before crews could start to get it under control.
The blaze is deemed accidental in nature.
“It appears that dry grass cluttered the motor of a mower and started on fire, which then spread to the grass and was taken away by wind,” said Christy Poirier, Vernon communications manager.
“Vernon Fire Rescue is reminding residents throughout the whole North Okanagan that it is very hot and dry out there and that we must all take extreme precautions outside. One small spark can spread very quickly, so if you are working outdoors or spending time enjoying outdoor recreational activities, keep water on hand, be very aware of your surroundings, and be cautious about doing activities that could cause a fire to start.”
If anyone sees a fire within Vernon’s boundary, call 911 immediately. If you see a fire in the forest, call BC Wildfire Service at 1-800-663-5555 or by dialing *5555 on a cellphone.