Be mindful of cigarette butts
A fire this past Saturday has the Lake Country Fire Department reminding smokers to be careful where they dispose of their cigarettes.
Firefighters fought what started as a small brush fire in a ditch near the intersection of Oyama and Willet Roads. By the time they had finished at the scene the fire had grown to two and a half acres in size and put one home in jeopardy.
“The cause of the fire couldn’t be officially determined,” says Asst. Fire Chief Brent Penner, “however, inside the area of origin we did find five cigarette butts. It is probable that a smoker’s material was the cause of this fire.”
The recent pattern of dry weather created dangerous conditions and it wasn’t long before the fire had spread up the hill towards Darlene Road. On it’s way it was fueled by grasses and even several trees.
Penner says it was fortunate that there was little wind at the time the fire broke out.
“Had there been wind involved we would have still been fighting the fire today,” said Penner on Monday.
In walking the neighbourhood, Penner noticed countless cigarette butts in ditches along the sides of the streets. He stresses the importance of disposing of them properly as every one that is thrown into a ditch full of grass has the possibility of becoming a disaster.